- Read the application instructions thoroughly before filling out your FAFSA. Be sure you (and your parents, if applicable) sign your FAFSA using your PIN.
- It is easier to fill out the application if you (and your parents, if applicable) have completed your previous year's federal income tax return. You may estimate income on the FAFSA, but you may be asked to verify it later by the federal processor or the college.
- Be sure that you list Capitol College on the FAFSA (school code 001436) to have your information forwarded to the college.
- File the FAFSA by the March 1 priority deadline.
- Keep a copy of everything you submit to the financial aid office for your records.
- Keep your address up to date. Don't rely on the post office to forward your mail in a timely manner. Because the financial aid process involves deadlines that must be met, notify the financial aid office and the registrar's office if you move.
- Write your name and social security number on all the documents you give to the financial aid office.